Tuesday, November 2, 2010

On the Great Walk of Life

"What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it."-Antoine De Saint-Exupery, from "Wind, Sand, and Stars"
 I absolutely love that quote & the story behind it. See, Antione was a pilot & one of his friends crashed in the mountains. So, for the sake of his family, he got up out the wreck of his plane & began to walk. He walked so that should he die, they'd be able to find his body & his wife wouldn't have to wait 5 years to get the insurance money. If he had stopped he would have frozen to death. By a miracle he was found & brought back to the base. When Antione talked to him, his friend told him how he had to push himself forward because he knew if he stopped he'd freeze to death.


I find that's all I can do sometimes, is walk. When things are rough & it's hard to find the joy in my life I just continue walking because it's what has to be done. There are days that my life is hard & I propel myself forward because if I stopped to sit, I'd let my stress/anxiety/sadness/etc freeze part of my soul. I know in those times that eventually I will look & see how many steps I've taken & how far I've come. So those days where it is hard to walk I celebrate every step, even though I may be stuck in a blizzard & can't see where I'm going. And in those times I am incredibly thankful for those who walk beside me.

No comments:

Post a Comment